Thursday, October 14, 2010

Family visit

It was quiet at Addis Kidan Guesthouse.
The sun had dropped below the peak of the mountain, in the fading light I set down my book, leaned back and, unwilling to exert myself to walk to the light swithch, closed my eyes and enjoyed the quiet of the evening

Soon Megana came in. Her parents are from India. She was born in U. S. A. Tall and thin, her mocha colored skin contrasts not only my European “white” and the “black” of the native Ethiopians.

“I’m going to take Maxie to supper” she announced.

“Good. You two enjoy” I replied.

Would you like to join us?

“Sure.”

Complete darkness had arrived. We exited the compound and, as we walked down the rough, rock strewn street greeted the guards at other gates as we passed.

Soon we were climbing the hill towards main paved road. A small figure dressed in black and wearing a white scarf emerged from the crowd and greeted us excitedly. She had seen us before we recognized her. 

Kidist, our hostess, was returning from a visit with her sister and her newborn niece.

Hugs, kisses, and light conversation and we were on our way.

No comments: